- Metal Spinning
- Ancillary Services
- Design Considerations
- Industries & Applications
Metal Spinning FAQ
What is metal spinning?
Metal spinning is a cold worked metal forming process which starts with flat sheet metal cut into a disk and then forms the material over a rotating mandrel to make a round shape.
Why should I contact Wenzel Metal Spinning to make my parts?
- Wenzel Metal Spinning leads the industry
- Two locations
- Wide range of capabilities
- Best and largest automated CNC spinning
- Skilled workforce dedicated to quality
- Emphasis on customer service
- Quick and prompt deliveries at a competitive price
- We have a 24 hour turn-around time on most inquiries
What are the advantages of metal spinning as compared to stamping and deep drawing?
- Quick and low cost tooling
- No minimum orders
- Flexible quantities
- No twist or spring-back
- An environmentally friendly process with few emissions and little waste
- Short lead times
What limitations are associated with the metal spinning process?
All forming methods have their own particular limitations and drawbacks. Like all forming processes, in metal spinning each unique part needs is own unique tool. Parts that are redesigned or changed with larger dimension require new tooling.
The metal spinning process is confined to concentric shapes. Another limitation of metal spinning is that we cannot guarantee a finished material thickness. Some amount of material thinning will occur and the experienced member of the Wenzel team will assist you in determining a starting thickness if you need any assistance.
What shapes can metal spinning produce?
Common shapes are:
- Conical – cone shaped
- Parabolic – bell shaped/dished
- Toroidal– donut shaped
- Hemispherical – half of a sphere
- Venturi – hourglass shaped
- Cylindrical and lid shapes
If you are unsure if the shape of your part is a good fit of the spinning process, please contact Wenzel Metal Spinning. We are happy to assist you with modification that can make your part more spin-friendly.
What are the typical tolerances that can be achieved with metal spinning?
Wenzel Metal Spinning is proud to offer a standard tolerance of at least +/-.060” on most quotes; however certain exceptions apply on a case by case basis.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
to Wenzel Metal Spinning or call us today at 1-800-498-4471
Request a Quote